Friday, April 13, 2012

Arriving in Athens

I have arrived in Athens, Greece! From the airport I got straight onto the underground metro, and the first thing I saw upon arrival was this beautiful Orthodox Cathloic Church. It is Easter here for Orthodox Cathloics and from the church came these very loud and very deep voices singing, what seemed like, very old songs. They were the kind that are a bit sad sounding and eerie, but beautiful nonetheless.

Church
First thing I saw when I arrived.

After a nap my host, Panos, took me out walking around the historic ancient Athens, an area called Plaka, which encircles the Acropolis.

Plaka
Exploring Plaka in Athens, Greece


The Acropolis
Exploring Plaka in Athens, Greece - The Acropolis

We then met up with two of Panos' friends, Theo and Gina, for dinner. They took me to a cafe and we sat outside and sampled a bit of everything, all of us sharing food, Greek family style. The food was excellent! While we were eating a small parade of people walked through the street chanting songs to celebrate Easter.

Walking the streets of Athens at night
Exploring the streets of Athens at night.

After dinner we walked around Plaka some more before going to an outdoors bar for a drinki - in my case soda. Then we headed home. Quite a nice first day. See more photos

My New Greek Friends
My new Greek friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment